| About us | Privacy Policy | Contact us | Sitemap
Home News Forum Blog Standings Roster Players Schedule Depth Chart Stats Photos Videos
kickback-nfl-new-orleans-saints-vs-carolina-panthers Kickback NFL New Orleans Saints Vs Carolina Panthers...
All the latest New Orleans Saints Photos Store photographs. Football NFL.
american-bowl-1990---new-orleans-saints-17-v-los-angeles-raiders-10 American Bowl 1990 - New Orleans Saints 17 v Los Angeles Raiders 10...
All the latest New Orleans Saints Photos Store photographs. Football NFL.
chicago-bears-v--new-orleans-saints---december-30--2007 Chicago Bears v. New Orleans Saints - December 30, 2007...
All the latest New Orleans Saints Photos Store photographs. Football NFL.

New Orleans Saints News

News » Saints' Nesbit files suit against diet pill maker


Saints' Nesbit files suit against diet pill maker


Saints' Nesbit files suit against diet pill maker
METAIRIE, La. (AP) - Saints offensive guard Jamar Nesbit filed suit Tuesday against the maker of a weight-loss supplement, alleging it was improperly spiked with a diuretic that is banned by the NFL.


The lawsuit against the makers of StarCaps, an over-the-counter product, was filed in federal district court in New Jersey, said Nesbit's attorney Brian Molloy.

Nesbit returned last week from a four-game suspension levied after he tested positive for Bumetanide, a substance that helps rid the body of excess water and salt. The NFL considers the substance a possible masking agent for steroids.

It is the same substance for which several other players around the league have reportedly tested positive, including three other Saints: running back Deuce McAllister and defensive ends Will Smith and Charles Grant.

McAllister, Smith and Grant remain on the Saints roster pending a consolidated appeal of their suspensions, said a person familiar with their case. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the appeals are ongoing.

Nesbit never appealed his suspension because he did not expect to win, and instead chose get it over with as soon as possible while trying to recoup his $235,294 in lost salary from StarCaps, Molloy said.

"Under NFL rules, you are strictly liable for what is in your body. They don't care how it got there, contaminated supplements or otherwise," said Molloy, who has represented other players in past appeals of NFL suspensions for banned substances. "So he did not appeal his suspension and focused his attention on going after the manufacturer of StarCaps."

In addition to lost salary, the lawsuit seeks money for damage to Nesbit's reputation and for the alleged intentional, undisclosed spiking of the product with Bumetanide.

Molloy said some of Nesbit's leftover pills were tested and found to be contaminated with Bumetanide, which is not listed as an ingredient.

StarCaps did not immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press seeking comment on the allegations.

McAllister, who publicly acknowledged he was being investigated by the league after the Saints' 37-32 victory over San Diego on Sunday, has said his positive test for Bumetanide also resulted from his use of StarCaps. He said he has been using the product to help him control his weight for four years and had the pills lab-tested before he began taking them.

Nesbit's lawsuit was filed the day after the Saints flew home from London, where they improved to 4-4 by beating the Chargers.

The Saints and the NFL have declined to discuss the investigations of individual players' alleged use of banned substances, citing confidentiality rules.

However, coach Sean Payton indicated he did not expect to learn of any new suspensions of Saints players before New Orleans' next game at Atlanta on Nov. 9.

"I think we're beyond that right now," Payton said Tuesday at the team's suburban headquarters. "Without commenting on dates or specifics, I'm sure at some point there will be a hearing and there will be a decision made by the league and we'll go from there."

The Saints have a bye this weekend. They are scheduled to practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but the team said players would not be made available to reporters this week.

Payton said he doesn't want to get bogged down in long-term plans for the uncertain remainder of what has already been a topsy-turvy season.

"The only thing I could control is our roster and our team right now," Payton said. "I don't view it as being in limbo. ... We look at our roster week by week and we say, 'Hey, here we go. And let's prepare to win a game with who's up and who's inactive.'

"All the other things will take care of themselves," Payton continued. "We'll let the process take it's course and see where that goes."

Still, Payton conceded it would be a challenge to cope with the losses of three top players at the same time.

"Anytime you lose a guy that's been in your lineup on a regular basis, it's going to be a challenge," Payton said. "I don't want to speculate in that specific case with those three players, but obviously it becomes harder than if they were active. It's like having a rash of injuries all at the same time for four weeks."



Author:Fox Sports
Author's Website:http://www.foxsports.com
Added: October 29, 2008

• Bush sets RB record with 200th catch (AP...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Saints' Payton determined to enforce dis...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Saints CB Porter placed on injured reser...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Saints CB Porter undergoes wrist surgery...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Monday Scrapbook, Week 5, #6: He's not g...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Correction: Vikings-Saints story (AP)...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Bush, Winfield awarded for dazzling perf...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Saints put Gramatica on IR, sign Mehlhaf...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Saints place K Gramatica on injured rese...
 Posted By you_re_saint
• Handful of Lions considered trade bait (...
 Posted By you_re_saint
Ricky Williams Name: Ricky Williams
#34
Position: RB
Age: 31
Experience: 7 years
College: Texas
Copyright © Saintshome.com, Inc. All rights reserved 2018.